Category: Parish Council


ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Sept. 18, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN

Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Sept. 18, 2018

Minutes prepared by Joy Guilford, summary by Daniel Yoder

 

Attendees: Aaron, Rachel, Brent, Sally, Daniel

Absent:  Erik, Deborah

Clergy attending:  Joy

 

Financial Report:

– income exceeded expenditures by about $4000 for August. There will be some extra expenses in the September report to cover facilities upgrades (see below).

 

Facilities Report:

Lots of projects ongoing:

– McLain’s will do free painting on Saturday Sept. 29

— Daniel will do glazing and priming of upper windows before then

— will do exterior unless weather forces them inside

– carpet replacement has been put on hold until after painting

– addressing the kitchen leaks

— some flashing work completed, and appears effective

— still some work to be done around louvered opening

– curtains in Commons were completed before Rex’s wedding

— came in slightly under authorized $600

– front exterior lighting has been purchased and is being installed through Daniel Sanders

– plan is to redo top of table in sanctuary annex and make that into the altar.  The current altar will be moved out (destination unknown), and the table in the Narthex will be moved to the annex

– Aaron will check on getting internet in the downstairs offices; will not be open access wifi

– Aaron got two quotes on ridding the sanctuary of the popcorn, but the lowest is $6k, and it will still not be smooth. Decided that this is not a high enough priority

– quotes for resurfacing entire sanctuary wood floor is $8500.  Decided to do this eventually

– we need to get some soil to fill the holes in the lawn; Aaron to add to purchase list

– within the next several months will get quotes on painting the sanctuary, and perhaps also the annex

– new furniture and equipment for Upper Room (new Youth space) is coming in shortly.  Included some very nice donated items, so came in under budget.

 

Upcoming events:

– Lake Day is Sept. 30.

– Bishop is coming October 14

– Covenant Journey

— Aaron will do one more background session on Sept. 23 after church

— target date for Covenant ceremony is Nov. 4

— Erik and Aaron will propose dates for Voyages to get everything ready by then

– Congregational Meeting Nov. 18 after church.  ONA will provide childcare

 

Parish Council Selection:

– Council members with terms expiring this year (Nov. 2018)

— Erik Morris, Rachel Moorman, Brent Wood, Daniel Yoder

— Erik and Rachel have decided to step off, Brent and Daniel to re-up

– as per Bylaws, the Search Committee therefore consists of Rachel, Erik, and Aaron.  They will develop a new ballot for examination by the congregation in the Nov. 18 meeting

 

Aaron News and Notes

– the Parish Council will receive ADOTS forms regarding Rector performance, to be filled out and returned before the Bishop’s visit

– there have been multiple recent visitors who have complemented both the spirit of the service and the congregation’s hospitality

 

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday Oct. 16 in upper meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Aug. 21, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of August 21, 2018
Minutes prepared by Brad Guilford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Elisa, Rachael, Erik, Brent, Sally, Daniel
Absent: Deborah
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– no financial report this month.

Facilities Report:
Lots of projects ongoing:
– narthex still need icon and desk, and will happen soon
– McLain’s will do free painting on Saturday Sept. 29
— will do exterior unless weather forces them inside
– still discussing replacement of some carpet with vendor
– addressing the kitchen leaks
— some flashing work completed
— will look for leaks around louvered opening
– exterior work day 9-noon Saturday Aug. 25
– drapes in Commons before Sept. 15
— authorized Rachel to spend up to $600 for material, rods, etc.
— Daniel will put up hanger boards
– Daniel to check on exterior lighting and insulating of ductwork
– future projects
— quarter-round for stage are to cover gap
— redo table for stage
– agreed to have basketball goal install, with some signage
– discussed expenditures for new materials and furniture for the Parlor

Upcoming events:
– Lake Day is Sept. 30.
– Bishop is coming October 14
– Covenant Journey
— Aaron will do one more background session, perhaps Sept. 23
— approved new Voyage questions proposed by Erik and Aaron
— will be included in document
— Erik and Aaron will change “core focus” language in document
— target date for Covenant ceremony is Nov. 4
— Erik will propose process for Voyages to get everything ready by then
– suggested Congregational Meeting Nov. 18

Parish Council Selection:
– Council members with terms expiring this year (Nov. 2018)
— Erik Morris, Rachel Moorman, Brent Wood, Daniel Yoder
— all are eligible to repeat
– Council members with terms expiring next year (Nov. 2019)
— Deborah Broome, Sally Ledford
– begin pondering renewal or potential new member
— will revisit next meeting

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday Sept. 18 in upper meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary July 17, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of July 17, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Brent, Sally, Daniel
Absent:
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– giving continues to be up and close to the budget
– spending continues to be below budgeted levels, so year-to-date we are about $1500 ahead
– about ½ of donations are coming in over Tithely, representing ab out 30% of the total.

Facilities Report:
– PC confirmed that we should go ahead with the flooring in the entrance
– Joy has arranged the possibility of getting some free painting done, and will let us know.
– we will check into getting the attic ductwork insulated.
– Aaron is still checking on actual costs for installing new carpet
– will continue work on some of the interior painting
– Aaron asked about another group using a meeting room, and this was OKed.
– we are looking for a professional to check into the possible leak in the kitchen
– a parishioner has volunteered to get the exterior lighting done.

Proposed position to help with older children / youth:
– Aaron proposed a job description and an initial salary budget.
– once a person is selected, they would propose a full budget, including materials and activities.
– would probably be about 35-40 weeks out of the year, and perhaps 4 hrs / week for those.
– there was some discussion about possibilities for filling that position.

Upcoming evvents:
– Lake Day is Sept. 30.
– Bishop is coming October 14
– Covenant Journey: about 30 additional people have gone through the 1st part of the process, and Aaron will plan another in August or September. We will separate the Covenanting service from the Business Meeting this year. Will look more closely at the next meeting.

Other:
– moving forward with Youth Director position.
– Lake Day is Sept. 30, and Bishop Frank will be here Oct. 14.
– will discuss next meeting the possible recording of sermons.

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday Aug. 21 in lower meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary June 19, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of June 19, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Brent, Sally
Absent: Daniel
Clergy attending: Brad, Joy

Financial Report:
– Giving continues to trend upward, and has grown since last year.
– Marriage Conference will show up as fairly large expenditure in June.
– Kudos to the Budget team (Deborah, Brent, Aaron).
– the new budget ($185,700) was approved.
– there was some discussion about whether current savings should be used to pay down on the mortgage.
– the tithe to ADOTS has been increased from 2% to 4%, with a target of 6% for next year, and ultimately 10%.
– there was a suggestion that the Parish Council begin thinking about expanding personnel to meet needs.

Marriage Conference follow-up:
– those who attended were very positive.
– Aaron is processing how to form follow-up groups.
– Aaron sermon series will build directly on the Conference.
– the suggestion was made to have the speaker back to speak on other topics.

Facilities Report:
– Russ will try to get an updated estimate on the upstairs AC unit.
– Patti looking at blinds for the Fellowship Room windows to help with temperature.
– kudos to Joy for the new children’s room set-up.
– there was discussion about exterior painting.
– there was discussion of cleaning various floors, including the kitchen and under the pews in the sanctuary.
– Aaron will receive the carpet estimates soon.
– Rachel presented findings about refinishing the hardwood floors, which for the lobby ranged from $800-1100, and for the entire sanctuary from $5600-8500.
– Aaron will be leading an outdoor work day.

Proposed position to help with older children / youth:
– Aaron proposed a job description and an initial salary budget.
– once a person is selected, they would propose a full budget, including materials and activities.
– would probably be about 35-40 weeks out of the year, and perhaps 4 hrs / week for those.
– there was some discussion about possibilities for filling that position.

Parish Council:
– Since Elisa is leaving the PC in late July, there PC discussed whether to refill that position at our November Congregational Meeting. Without Elisa the PC will have 7 members; the Bylaws require 5-9.
– Had some discussion of possible replacements, but decided to postpone decisions.

Other:
– there was some discussion about having Children’s Table for older children.
– Lake Day is Sept. 30, and Bishop Frank will be here Oct. 14.

Next meeting 7:00 pm Tuesday July 17 in lower meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary May 15, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of May 15, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Brent
Absent: Erik, Sally
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– Giving continues to be good, with a very large total in April.
– With the stage work done and paid for, expenditures continue to be at or below previously-budgeted levels.
– Results in a net gain over the first quarter.
– Gifts given via Tithely.com have risen to about ½ of the total number of gifts, and 1/3 of the total giving.
– Will discuss whether we should invest out contingency fund in an account bearing higher returns.
– Agreed to provide $1000 total support for the Marriage Conference, to be used as the clergy and attendees see fit.

Marriage Conference:
– PC providing $1000 in funding; remainder will be raised by charging attendees. The decision was made to charge a reasonable fee per person ($25), but to provide support if that would keep someone from attending.
– Will take place Friday evening and Saturday morning (June 8-9).
– ONA will provide childcare.
– Clergy will consider how to provide support and accountability for the follow-up expected of attendees.

Facilities Report:
– Broadway Carpet has visited and will provide quotes on redoing the carpeted areas and bound carpet pieces for the classrooms.
– The 3rd classroom has been cleared out, and some volunteers are set to paint it before June 1.
– Decided to continue holding off on replacing the AC unit for the Fellowship Hall as this will cost $10k, the space is not used much, and the current unit is still providing some cooling.
– The icon for the foyer has come in, and there will be follow-up on quotes for some of the remaining items.

Parish Council:
– Elisa announced that the Roberts are moving later this summer, so her spot on the PC will be open. We still have more than the 5 members required by the Bylaws, so we have the options of either waiting for the next normal cycle in November, or bringing in a replacement to serve out the remainder of Elisa’s term.
– Decided to address the question when more of the members are here.

Support Staff:
– As we continue to grow (average attendance is now around 150), Aaron envisions an increased need for additional paid support, including especially for the burgeoning youth population. Decided to begin exploring who has gifts in those areas, and whether they might be interested in being called to use those.

Next meeting 7:00 pm Tuesday June 19 in lower meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary March 20, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of March 20, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Sally, Brent
Absent: None
Clergy attending: Joy, Nick

Financial Report:
– For Jan-Feb, expenditures exceeded income by $2900, largely due to costs of stage remodeling and materials for renovation tasks.
– Approved increasing tithe to ADOTS from 1.9% last year to 4% this year, with target of achieving 10%
– Giving through tithely.com has been as high as 26%, but for Jan-Feb was 9.4%. It is really too soon to see how that will settle in.
– Budget Committee will meet March 27.

Facilities Report:
– Stage work is mostly done until we work on the floor, which should come after the walls.
– Saturday is planned as an outside workday, but it might rain.
– Rachel and crew are starting work on the entryway.
– Joy is making banners, and Daniel will hang.
– Aaron and Daniel will look at changing out stage spots for warmer ones.
– It looks like we can get a special deal on carpeting.

Lent & Holy Week:
– Aaron will develop sign-up for potluck items.
– Holy Week services will all start at 6:30. Aaron will see about basins and towels for foot-washing.

Extra Stuff
– Andrew Randazzo has offered to do CPR training for folks serving in ONA.
– Nick encouraged us to ask questions of both old and new folks to share in their lives.

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday April 17 in upper meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Feb. 20, 2018

ld North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Feb. 20, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Sally, Brent
Absent: None
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– In January, expenditures exceeded income, but was due to timing of Personnel payments
– Still at roughly the same income level as this time last year, and facilities costs will be lower
– Will be paying $8k for work on stage, and some for supplies for additional projects
– Approved $1500 for improvements to church entrance
– May want to have special asking for ongoing beautification projects
– Budget Committee to meet soon to prepare annual budget

Facilities Report:
– JP Home Improvement began work on stage, and is going fast. Total cost $8k, which is within range of estimates
– Gregg and Rex took down awnings
– Leah, Patti, and Josh have taken on preparing and painting the Fellowship Hall
– Johnsons and Bells have taken on painting the Upper Room

Lent & Holy Week:
– Things moving along well, including 3 small groups

Extra Stuff
– regular attendance appears to have jumped from about 120 to about 140
– Parish Council pictures early on Sunday
– PC bios to Aaron

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday March 20 in lower meeting room

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Jan. 23, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Jan. 23, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Sally, Brent
Absent: None
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– Total giving in 2017 was $22k more than expenditures
– That includes special giving for stage, which has not been spent yet
– Maximum utilities bill (Dec-Jan) was $1.2k; none likely to be more than that. Appear to be doing a good job of being “green”
– Brent, Aaron, and Deborah are starting on the 2018 budget

Facilities Report:
– update on stage work: bid came back much higher than original estimate, though work is actually less than thought, so Aaron will get additional bids
– Daniel has posted maintenance / improvement tasks for groups to work on. Aaron will get these posted on website
– Daniel will get started on new mowing list, to start in March
– Rachel Bell is working on new signage
– additional group wants to meet here Tuesdays; Aron to work with that
– Neighborhood woman wants to use space for baby shower on Feb. 10; PC said OK; Aaron will be on hand

Lent & Holy Week:
– Ash Wednesday Feb. 14 7:00 am and 6:30 pm
– Maundy Thursday service 6:30 pm, no Seder meal this time around, but will have foot-washing
– Good Friday service 6:30 pm (no communion)
– Holy Saturday service 6:30 pm (no communion)
– Easter service Sunday 10:00 am, followed by Easter feast together; potluck with ONA providing main dish

ADOTS
– wants delegates for November 2-3 meeting designated now; Brent and Marci?

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday Feb. 20

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Dec. 12, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Dec. 12, 2017
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Sally
Absent: Brent
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– November giving was over-budget, and almost all from tithes
– cleared up previous multiple listings, which resulted from the transition between banks
– net annual income to date (income over spending) is about $14000

Facilities Report:
– termite treatment has been done and invoiced, but not paid yet
– Jordan Bell is taking charge of cleaning while Alexander is out; may use some temporary help as well
– Daniel will get task sheets for specific facility jobs done by 1st week of January

Covenant Journey debriefing
– Discovery will be changed to multiple sessions through year, rather than just in October
– will spread Journey sessions out more, perhaps with more “after-church” sessions (most convenient) earlier
– may have one or more Journey sessions with childcare
– will separate Covenant ceremony from congregational meeting, perhaps Sunday before?
– generally very positive response to ceremony itself, including especially the passing of the oil
– any way of making the signing part of the service either faster, or not everyone needing to wait?

Congregational Meeting debriefing
– generally thought went very well
– should be after potluck, with ONA taking more responsibility
– if we have voting, should be more low-key, and separate from discussion (e.g., ballots submitted later?)

Advent briefing / feedback
– like having mixed groups doing candle lighting; suggestion was that we have even more mixing
– Christmas Eve service will be a little different; half Advent and half Christmas
– caroling will be split into groups

Brainstorming about PD goals for next year
– increase visibility (emails?) for contacts about specific questions
– expand outreach, but keep focused so that we actually have an impact
– revisit congregational tithing to ACNA during next year’s budget process

Next meeting not scheduled

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Oct. 17, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN

Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Oct. 17, 2017

Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

 

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael

Absent:  Deborah, Erik, Sally

Clergy attending:  Brad

 

Financial Report:

– Sept. giving was over-budget, and almost all from tithes

– not completely clear what spending was, as a few items appear to have multiple listing

 

Facilities Report:

– termite treatment will be done in December (Parish Council approval was made by email)

– there will be some major yard work to do in next few months, including some tree removal

– Daniel will talk with Alex about downstairs painting

– Aaron looking for someone to do work on the stage

– will address question of step-down with architect

 

Covenant Journey

– Discovery will be two sessions on Sunday Oct. 29

– Journey sessions morning of Saturday Nov. 4, evening Nov. 7 & 9, after church Sunday Nov. 12

– Covenant Service before Congregational meeting Nov. 19 (after church with potluck)

– Daniel to announce this Sunday

 

Congregational Meeting

– Daniel to announce this Sunday

– Treasure’s report

– Aaron address

– Aaron lead discussion of Venn diagram, members put on color stickers

– Congregational sharing of thankfulness and vision

 

Next meeting Tuesday Nov. 28, 7:00pm at church