Author: daniel-yoder


Parish Council Meeting Summary of November 5, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of November 5, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty
Absent: Bent, Spencer
Clergy attending:

Financial Report:

  • October giving exceeded expenditures
  • Giving is currently above budget, and spending is under budget
  • Deborah will continue to serve as Treasurer and attend the meetings
  • will discuss at next meeting having an independent review

Fall Activities

  • Synod is this weekend, with about 12 ONA members attending
  • the full Parish member’s meeting will be Sunday Nov. 24 following the service and potluck. Aaron will contact Nancy and Sally about procuring the main dish. The meeting will include Aaron’s updates, Deborah’s financial summary, voting on new Council members, and a report by the Sabbatical Committee
  • an updated bulletin / liturgy will be used starting with Advent
  • will have a Christmas Eve service
  • Michael Hickey will be taking over some of the youth leadership in Rising Catechism

Facilities

  • improvements to be made soon include tightening toilet seats, finish installing the front exterior lights, finishing trim painting in the downstairs meeting room, touch-up painting around the lights in the Commons, installing a new light in the Library, ordering and installing a nursery paper towel dispenser
  • other major renovations (carpet, flooring, etc.) will wait until after the holidays
  • Daniel will look into purchasing and mounting additional exterior light for the side and rear of the building
  • Aaron may lead another exterior workday in late fall or early spring

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday December 3 in the upper meeting room.

Parish Council Meeting Summary of October 1, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of October 1, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent:
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • due to renovation and other costs, spending in Sept. slightly exceeded giving
  • for the year, giving is still $4k over budget, whisk expenses are $23k under
  • this does not account for almost $20k in committed additional expenses for carpeting and the hardwood floors , which will be spent in the first half of 2020
  • decided to put off an additional lump payment towards the mortgage until costs associated with the sabbatical are clearer

Bylaws updates

  • Council unanimously approved (by email on 9/19/19) the changes proposed by Brad, and has been announcing those
  • Council also approved a typo pointed out by Spencer on p. 13 of the Bylaws

Fall Activities

  • instead of Lake Day, there will be an activity at the church on October 20
  • the member’s mini-meeting will be Sunday Oct. 13 immediately after the service
  • the Covenanting ceremony will be Sunday Nov. 3 and 4:00 pm
  • the full Parish member’s meeting will be Sunday Nov. 24 following the service and potluck
  • Aaron is taking care of arrangements for the Bishop’s visit the weekend of Oct. 26. Nick’s ordination will be that Saturday evening

Parish Council nominations

  • the Council agreed to add two members, including one to replace Deborah, who is rotating off. The Council made several suggestions to the Nominating Committee

Facilities

  • changes to be made this weekend include removing the old air conditioner, installing signs, installing front exterior lights, installing staff hooks, framing the three outstanding Covenants, nursery towel dispenser, aerator for nursery bathroom sink
  • Aaron will look into additional estimates for carpeting
  • Gregg suggested adding pew liturgy holders
  • more groups are using the building, including the Fairmont and Emoriland Neighborhood Assoc. and the Community School partner meeting

Sabbatical

  • Aaron shared his list of priestly duties
  • Council will come next time with suggestions on broader participation

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday November 5 in the upper meeting room.

Parish Council Meeting Summary of September 3, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of September 3, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent:
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • giving in July and August was over budget, while spending was under-budget
  • will delay spending budgeted amount on refinishing the hardwood floors in the sanctuary until next June
  • will add Tithely instructions to giving cards
  • PC approved spending $5.5k (instead of $5k originally budgeted) to replace the aging sound system
  • PC will at the next meeting making another lump payment against the mortgage

Clergy needs:

  • approved $300 for new purificators for Altar Guild
  • sink in Nursery bathroom needs new faucets or new lower sink. Daniel will check
  • flooring in children’s area will need to be replaced within next few years; it does not look clean
  • Aaron will contact Drew Petty for additional hooks for crucifixes in Sanctuary

Medical Response team:

  • training was held for childcare team
  • will hold additional training for broader group
  • defibrillator will be mounted

Building and Facility updates:

  • will have Workday on Sept. 21 (8:30-noon), with outdoor work and painting of additional room downstairs
  • new Bibles have come in and been placed. New BCPs are on back-order.
  • have decided to not pay for stone wall renovations, but instead pressure wash and repair major issues
  • front lighting is in the process of being updated. Daniel will check
  • the steeple will need cleaning in the spring
  • have found two new folks interested in rotating into cleaning schedule
  • Aaron will post new service opportunities on Bulletin Board

Preparation for Aaron’s Sabbatical

  • Brent shared sabbatical best practices document
  • Aaron shared proposed sabbatical dates, encompassing 3 months
  • committee will have draft logistical plan for October PC meeting
  • Nick will be ordained as priest in late October, after which ONA will send him on a short retreat

Fall Needs

  • the Congregational Meeting will be the first week of November
  • Aaron will lead two Covenant Journey 1st and 2nd steps in two Wednesdays between now and late October
  • Covenant signing will be on a Sunday evening before the November Congregational Meeting
  • need tow folks to represent ONA at Synod in November. Spencer will represent the PC
  • Aaron will check about moving Lake Day to Oct. 20. Next year we will check into reserving Inskip Pool instead

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday October 1 in the upper meeting room.

PARISH COUNCIL MEETING SUMMARY OF September 3, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of September 3, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent:
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • giving in July and August was over budget, while spending was under-budget
  • will delay spending budgeted amount on refinishing the hardwood floors in the sanctuary until next June
  • will add Tithely instructions to giving cards
  • PC approved spending $5.5k (instead of $5k originally budgeted) to replace the aging sound system
  • PC will at the next meeting making another lump payment against the mortgage

Clergy needs:

  • approved $300 for new purificators for Altar Guild
  • sink in Nursery bathroom needs new faucets or new lower sink. Daniel will check
  • flooring in children’s area will need to be replaced within next few years; it does not look clean
  • Aaron will contact Drew Petty for additional hooks for crucifixes in Sanctuary

Medical Response team:

  • training was held for childcare team
  • will hold additional training for broader group
  • defibrillator will be mounted

Building and Facility updates:

  • will have Workday on Sept. 21 (8:30-noon), with outdoor work and painting of additional room downstairs
  • new Bibles have come in and been placed. New BCPs are on back-order.
  • have decided to not pay for stone wall renovations, but instead pressure wash and repair major issues
  • front lighting is in the process of being updated. Daniel will check
  • the steeple will need cleaning in the spring
  • have found two new folks interested in rotating into cleaning schedule
  • Aaron will post new service opportunities on Bulletin Board

Preparation for Aaron’s Sabbatical

  • Brent shared sabbatical best practices document
  • Aaron shared proposed sabbatical dates, encompassing 3 months
  • committee will have draft logistical plan for October PC meeting
  • Nick will be ordained as priest in late October, after which ONA will send him on a short retreat

Fall Needs

  • the Congregational Meeting will be the first week of November
  • Aaron will lead two Covenant Journey 1st and 2nd steps in two Wednesdays between now and late October
  • Covenant signing will be on a Sunday evening before the November Congregational Meeting
  • need tow folks to represent ONA at Synod in November. Spencer will represent the PC
  • Aaron will check about moving Lake Day to Oct. 20. Next year we will check into reserving Inskip Pool instead

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday October 1 in the upper meeting room.

Parish Council Meeting Summary of August 6, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of August 6, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent: Deborah
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • No Treasurer’s Report, since Deborah was unable to attend
  • PC approved an additional $200 for Women’s Retreat, on top of the $500 approved last month
  • ONA received a $1200 anonymous gift directed to purchasing BCPs and Bible; approved by PC

Medical Response

  • Andrew is ordering a defibrillator.
  • Training for Medical Response Team and Childcare workers will be held on 8/25, with lunch provided
  • names of Medical response Team will be shared on Bulletin Board and via email

Building and Facility Updates

  • Gregg will move forward with quotes for repairing stone wall by road
  • Aaron will start to organize an indoor / outdoor Work Day on 9/21
  • Daniel will see about removing metal rod above sewer line
  • Daniel will work to cover wires in Balcony

Mission Opportunities

  • Aaron and Amber met with Resource Coordinators at Bell Morris Elementary and Whittle Springs Middle, and will start posting needs on the Bulletin Board

Preparation for Aaron’s Sabbatical
-Sabbatical Team identified 3 tasks: 1) Aaron developing sabbatical plan; 2) Aaron and Team will communicate purpose and need for sabbatical to congregation; and 3) dealing with practicalities (finances, scheduling, ministry duties, etc.). Rachel will handle communication, while Spencer and Brent will handle practical.

  • Aaron has been speaking with others to gain insight into the process. Father Jack King is willing to talk with the PC about his experience.
  • Spencer shared they will build a team to meet with Aaron before, during, and after the sabbatical for increased prayer, discussion, etc.
  • ministry roles could be shared both internally and externally. This may be an opportunity to build greater discipleship within the congregation to take on greater ownership during and after the sabbatical.

Fall Needs

  • the Congregational Meeting will be the first week of November
  • the PC proposed dropping the 2nd part of the Covenant Journey, which is getting very difficult to pull off given the larger numbers. Aaron will do at least 1-2 additional “1st sessions” between now and October.
  • Gregg will be reaching out to people individually to expand the Hospitality Team.

Aaron updates

  • Caleb will continue working with Youth as a volunteer, but will no longer be paid staff. The youth will be split between 3rd-5th grade and 6th grade and up. Emily Hall and Brenna will head up the younger group. Spencer and Aaron are reaching out to parents to volunteer with the older group.
  • the New Wineskins Conference in Asheville is coming up in late September, and the PC decided to pay for one clergy and one lay person to attend. Travis Cargle will be the lay person, and Aaron the clergy.

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday September 3 in the upper meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Meeting Summary – June 18, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of June 18, 2019
Minutes prepared by Daniel Yoder, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent: Amber
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • May tithes and offerings were at $13.3k and May expenses were $11.4k.
  • May giving was very similar to last May
  • There will be high expenditures in June for the approved renovations.

Building and Facility Updates

  • there are now 5 mowing crews, and this seems to be going well
  • RE Sparks has completed painting the Sanctuary, and work on the bathrooms will proceed over the next two weeks
  • a bulletin board for posting approved information on ONA activities and announcement was installed. This is not meant to be a personal posting board

Preparation for Aaron’s Sabbatical
The Parish Council has tentatively approved a sabbatical for Aaron in 2020. A committee was formed (with Brent Wood as Chair) to propose preparations for this.

Aaron updates

  • September will be the times for a New Wineskins Conference in Asheville, and for the ONA 10-year anniversary celebration.

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday August 6 in the upper meeting room.

ONA Parish Council Meeting Summary – May 21, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of May 21, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent: none
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • April tithes and offerings were at $12, 915.
  • April expenses were relatively high due to an initial payment on the renovations and lights.
  • April giving was slightly lower than last April
  • Joy purchased MinistrySafe, which was lower than expected, at $100.

Health and Emergency Preparation

  • The Council agreed to purchase a portable defibrillator
  • Andrew Randazzo can get one for us at reduced cost, and is willing to provide support and training. Aaron will follow up with Andrew on that.
  • Aaron will follow up on establishing a more formal Medical Team

Building and Facility Updates

  • we have 4 mowing crews in place, and established a 5th at the meeting
  • most of the new lights in the Fellowship Hall have been installed, and that should be completed soon
  • the water sensor in the cellar has been installed
  • air intake grates in the Sanctuary and a Bulletin Board are next on the to-do list
  • remodeling with R.E. Sparks will begin June 3. Gregg will coordinate with them to get them a key.
  • Amber will follow up with getting the remaining items for the bathroom renovation
  • Amber will follow up with Rachel on selecting a paint color for the Sanctuary

501(c)(3) Status

  • we are registered in Tennessee as a church, but are not so registered with the US government
  • after examining the options, the Council chose not to currently pursue this status

Attendance

  • attendance has continued to increase. Our high Sundays are now above 170, and our low Sundays in the 130s. The average is over 150. All of these are a jump up of about 20 over last year.

Service

  • Amber and Aaron will explore meeting with Belle Morris Elementary and Whittle Springs Middle School about possible service activities.
  • Rusty explored possibly getting a Mobile Meals route, but the times are very limited.
  • Daniel will install a bulletin board to assist in posting notices.

Aaron updates

  • Aaron will be on vacation May 28 – June 2.
  • Aaron has been receiving very positive feedback on how newcomers feel about ONA
  • not everyone has been meeting their commitments in a timely manner; Aaron and Gregg will follow up

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday June 18 in the upper meeting room.

PARISH COUNCIL MEETING SUMMARY OF MARCH 5, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of April 2, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent: none
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • after special payments mortgage now stands at $116,300
  • year-to-date tithes are about 18% over budget and expenditures are 26% under budget. Tithes are deceptively high because of special early-year giving, and expenditures don’t yet reflect previous spending commitments made but not paid yet.

Updates from previous meeting

  • Joy is planning childcare training, including MinistrySafe training / checks
  • albs have been ordered, most have arrived, and remainder should be here by Easter
  • commitment to paint sanctuary (?$7000)
    • Gregg will contact RE Sparks to schedule a time in early June
      • include removal of balcony closet and associated drywall work
    • Amber and Rachel will determine color/s
    • Aaron will be here to open building, etc.
  • commitment to re-do main bathrooms (?$10000)
    • Gregg will contact RE Sparks to schedule a time in early June
    • Amber to select and purchase items we must supply
    • Aaron will be here to open building, etc.
  • decisions will be made on moving forward with carpet (?$5000) and hardwood floors (?$10000) after earlier things are scheduled
  • other scheduled minor work
    • bulletin board for posting of Special Giving Opportunities, work tasks, and other notices, ASAP, Daniel
    • replacement lighting in Upper Room, ASAP, Daniel
    • flooding alert options and re-plumbing, ASAP, Daniel
    • painting lower meeting room, summer, Daniel
    • install quarter-round in sanctuary, after hardwood flooring is done, Daniel

Facilities Planning:

  • will try again to have mowing crews during the summer
    • remove some of the burden from Aaron and Daniel

Holy Week:

  • will have Feaster after the Easter service

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday May 7 in the upper meeting room.

PARISH COUNCIL MEETING SUMMARY OF APRIL 2, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of April 2, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent: none
Clergy attending: Joy

Financial Report:

  • after special payments mortgage now stands at $116,300
  • year-to-date tithes are about 18% over budget and expenditures are 26% under budget. Tithes are deceptively high because of special early-year giving, and expenditures don’t yet reflect previous spending commitments made but not paid yet.

Updates from previous meeting

  • Joy is planning childcare training, including MinistrySafe training / checks
  • albs have been ordered, most have arrived, and remainder should be here by Easter
  • commitment to paint sanctuary (?$7000)
    • Gregg will contact RE Sparks to schedule a time in early June
      • include removal of balcony closet and associated drywall work
    • Amber and Rachel will determine color/s
    • Aaron will be here to open building, etc.
  • commitment to re-do main bathrooms (?$10000)
    • Gregg will contact RE Sparks to schedule a time in early June
    • Amber to select and purchase items we must supply
    • Aaron will be here to open building, etc.
  • decisions will be made on moving forward with carpet (?$5000) and hardwood floors (?$10000) after earlier things are scheduled
  • other scheduled minor work
    • bulletin board for posting of Special Giving Opportunities, work tasks, and other notices, ASAP, Daniel
    • replacement lighting in Upper Room, ASAP, Daniel
    • flooding alert options and re-plumbing, ASAP, Daniel
    • painting lower meeting room, summer, Daniel
    • install quarter-round in sanctuary, after hardwood flooring is done, Daniel

Facilities Planning:

  • will try again to have mowing crews during the summer
    • remove some of the burden from Aaron and Daniel

Holy Week:

  • will have Feaster after the Easter service

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday May 7 in the upper meeting room.

Parish Council meeting summary of March 5, 2019

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of March 5, 2019
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Gregg, Rusty, Spencer
Absent:
Clergy attending: Nick and Brad

Targeted giving:

  • Daniel has produced a proposed list of special giving projects (both facilities and others) , which we will post in the building on and ONA bulletin board Daniel will add in a highly trafficked area

Financial Report:

  • January tithes and special offerings were well above budget
  • a $7000 payment on the mortgage principal was made through a special gift
  • the PC agreed to pay an additional $30,000 against principal from savings
  • 55% of January tithes and 20% of February tithes were made through Tithe.ly

Budget review:

  • the PC discussed and approved the budget recommended by the Budget Committee, which included substantial pay increases for supported clergy
  • the PC approved an expenditure of $1000 to cover participation in the Ministry Safe program (which includes background checks and online training) for all congregants helping with child and youth ministries (about 40 people)
  • the PC approved $900 for new albs for Aaron and the Altar Guild
  • the process included a review of some job descriptions, resulting in a commitment to reassign some responsibilities

Facilities Planning:

  • there is some concern about building security, with doors sometimes being left unlocked, the alarm not set, and thermostats not returned to their automatic setting. The PC and clergy will work again with all building users to reinforce the importance of this
  • Gregg shared a quote from a vendor of about $6k to redo the main men’s and women’s bathroom, but this id not include design choices. Amber will work on design recommendations for these
  • Rachel had gotten a quote from Grigore’s Flooring for redoing the Sanctuary and balcony floors ($8500 and $1500, respectively). The PC will revisit next meeting how this should be sequenced with painting, carpeting, and other activities
  • the PC approved $1500 for replacement of light fixtures in the Fellowship Hall
  • Daniel will examine alternatives for keeping the basement dry, given that the sump pump currently does nothing
  • the PC confirmed the standing policy that alcohol is not permitted for events held at the church

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday April 2 in the upper meeting room.