Category: Parish Council


ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Jan. 23, 2018

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Jan. 23, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Sally, Brent
Absent: None
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– Total giving in 2017 was $22k more than expenditures
– That includes special giving for stage, which has not been spent yet
– Maximum utilities bill (Dec-Jan) was $1.2k; none likely to be more than that. Appear to be doing a good job of being “green”
– Brent, Aaron, and Deborah are starting on the 2018 budget

Facilities Report:
– update on stage work: bid came back much higher than original estimate, though work is actually less than thought, so Aaron will get additional bids
– Daniel has posted maintenance / improvement tasks for groups to work on. Aaron will get these posted on website
– Daniel will get started on new mowing list, to start in March
– Rachel Bell is working on new signage
– additional group wants to meet here Tuesdays; Aron to work with that
– Neighborhood woman wants to use space for baby shower on Feb. 10; PC said OK; Aaron will be on hand

Lent & Holy Week:
– Ash Wednesday Feb. 14 7:00 am and 6:30 pm
– Maundy Thursday service 6:30 pm, no Seder meal this time around, but will have foot-washing
– Good Friday service 6:30 pm (no communion)
– Holy Saturday service 6:30 pm (no communion)
– Easter service Sunday 10:00 am, followed by Easter feast together; potluck with ONA providing main dish

ADOTS
– wants delegates for November 2-3 meeting designated now; Brent and Marci?

Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday Feb. 20

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Dec. 12, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Dec. 12, 2017
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Sally
Absent: Brent
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– November giving was over-budget, and almost all from tithes
– cleared up previous multiple listings, which resulted from the transition between banks
– net annual income to date (income over spending) is about $14000

Facilities Report:
– termite treatment has been done and invoiced, but not paid yet
– Jordan Bell is taking charge of cleaning while Alexander is out; may use some temporary help as well
– Daniel will get task sheets for specific facility jobs done by 1st week of January

Covenant Journey debriefing
– Discovery will be changed to multiple sessions through year, rather than just in October
– will spread Journey sessions out more, perhaps with more “after-church” sessions (most convenient) earlier
– may have one or more Journey sessions with childcare
– will separate Covenant ceremony from congregational meeting, perhaps Sunday before?
– generally very positive response to ceremony itself, including especially the passing of the oil
– any way of making the signing part of the service either faster, or not everyone needing to wait?

Congregational Meeting debriefing
– generally thought went very well
– should be after potluck, with ONA taking more responsibility
– if we have voting, should be more low-key, and separate from discussion (e.g., ballots submitted later?)

Advent briefing / feedback
– like having mixed groups doing candle lighting; suggestion was that we have even more mixing
– Christmas Eve service will be a little different; half Advent and half Christmas
– caroling will be split into groups

Brainstorming about PD goals for next year
– increase visibility (emails?) for contacts about specific questions
– expand outreach, but keep focused so that we actually have an impact
– revisit congregational tithing to ACNA during next year’s budget process

Next meeting not scheduled

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Oct. 17, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN

Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Oct. 17, 2017

Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

 

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Elisa, Rachael

Absent:  Deborah, Erik, Sally

Clergy attending:  Brad

 

Financial Report:

– Sept. giving was over-budget, and almost all from tithes

– not completely clear what spending was, as a few items appear to have multiple listing

 

Facilities Report:

– termite treatment will be done in December (Parish Council approval was made by email)

– there will be some major yard work to do in next few months, including some tree removal

– Daniel will talk with Alex about downstairs painting

– Aaron looking for someone to do work on the stage

– will address question of step-down with architect

 

Covenant Journey

– Discovery will be two sessions on Sunday Oct. 29

– Journey sessions morning of Saturday Nov. 4, evening Nov. 7 & 9, after church Sunday Nov. 12

– Covenant Service before Congregational meeting Nov. 19 (after church with potluck)

– Daniel to announce this Sunday

 

Congregational Meeting

– Daniel to announce this Sunday

– Treasure’s report

– Aaron address

– Aaron lead discussion of Venn diagram, members put on color stickers

– Congregational sharing of thankfulness and vision

 

Next meeting Tuesday Nov. 28, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Aug. 15, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN

Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Aug. 15, 2017

Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

 

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Elisa, Rachael, Sally

Absent:  Erik

Clergy attending:  Brad

 

Financial Report:

– giving has continued somewhat over-budget, and almost all from tithes

– in January-July, our income has exceeded our expenditures, even with all of the building update costs

– online giving appears to be fairly regular, but not bringing I a lot of new donors

– Special Projects giving is at almost $10k

 

Facilities Report:

– the final version of the Facilities Use policy and associated documents have been distributed

– will continue as have been with upstairs air conditioning

– will continue with projects into the fall

– sealing and painting sanctuary windows

– redoing rotten bottoms of posts in front

– painting of meetings rooms downstairs and upstairs

– mowing is going OK, but harder to do than expected and taking longer to get commitments

– Aaron is in contact with Architecture folks who will draw up a plan for the stage

– should have that soon to look at

– willing to check with AC guys once have plan

– lights for the sign are available and ready to be installed

– Gregg Baird and Josh Casada are planning on renting a manlift and repainting the steeple

– Daniel will check on fire-rated door with glass for between sanctuary and Education wing

 

Childcare Needs:

– our list of childcare providers is decreasing, in spite of personal contacts by the clergy

– since the schedule is already made up for this season, we will leave as is

– if this continues to be an issue, will consider hiring external help

 

Fall Plans:

– Covenant Journey will be activated at next (Sept.) meeting

-Lake Day is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 24

– looking at possible picture postings on website and church “directory”

– Children’s Catechism is ramping up

– Iconography class starting with Britton leading

– will be thinking about possible relationships with local churches of other backgrounds

– Synod meeting Nov. 3-4

– ONA Congregational Meeting early November

 

Next meeting Tuesday Sept. 19, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary July 18, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of July 18, 2017
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Elisa, Erik, Rachael, Sally
Absent: none
Clergy attending: Brad

Rachael report on possible clergy sabbatical policy:
– presented board packet of material, including a great article she wrote for ADOTS
– standard is 3-6 months every 6-7 years
– need to start planning 14 months beforehand
– Rachael and Elisa will work low-key on proposing a policy, and into possible grants

Facilities Use Policy
– reviewed proposed documents form Daniel
– Brad proposed some minor language changes
– Daniel will incorporate any other changes proposed by PC
– if those changes are minor, the PC will accept as approved

Facilities Report
– mowing taking longer than expected, so may need to adapt things there a little
– Gregg Baird may be following up on possibly painting the steeple. Aaron will check with Drew Petty on process
– air conditioners seem OK for now
– special gift was given for stage, so Aaron will start planning with Bobby Whisman. Will provide drawings beforehand.

Financial Report
– giving has continued over-budget
– spending seems to be diminishing, with one-time special costs completed
– have $7000 still in account at end of June
– subcommittee (Deborah, Aaron, Brent) proposed budget, which was accepted by the PC

Next meeting Tuesday August 15, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary June 6, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of June 6, 2017
Minutes prepared by Brad Guilford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Rachael, Sally
Absent: Elisa
Clergy attending: Brad

Financial Report:
– giving has continued somewhat over-budget, and almost all from tithes
– in spite of continued one-time spending on facilities (structural repairs, HVAC, mower, etc.), we still have roughly $7000 in our account. This is due in large part to $4800 in special giving
– committee is meeting mid-June to set up electronic giving option

Rachael and Deborah will look more closely at online giving alternatives and propose one

Facilities Report:
– mower has been purchased and storage shed is in process
– for now will put off spending the $10000 to replace the AC for the upstairs of the Education Building
– Alexander has taken over cleaning duties

Childcare Needs:
– our list of childcare providers is decreasing, in spite of personal contacts by the clergy
– since the schedule is already made up for this season, we will leave as is
– if this continues to be an issue, will consider hiring external help

Facilities Use:
– will tentatively adopt the policies coming from ADOTS, with adaptations proposed by next meeting
– Clergy will have the responsibility of vetting groups that will use the facility
– adaptations will address the following: custodial fee, very limited alcohol use, kitchen use, areas allowed for use

Sabbatical Policy:
– ADOTS seems to be recognizing the need for a policy on sabbaticals
– Rachel has studied this, and will bring findings to next meeting

Budget:
– need to be putting together a budget for the fiscal year. Budget Committee will meet on that in June

Next meeting Tuesday July 18, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary May 1, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of May 1, 2017
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brad, Daniel, Deborah, Elisa, Rachael, Sally
Absent: Brent

Financial Report:
– giving has continued somewhat over-budget, and almost all from tithes
– in March and April spending was still somewhat over-budget due to building costs, but still below giving
– do still have some expected costs, including especially $3400 for structural repairs, expenses for mower, fixing HVAC for education wing, etc.
– have received about $3000 in “special project” giving above tithes

Rachael and Deborah will look more closely at online giving alternatives and propose one

Building Report:
– sign & women’s bathroom toilet are fixed
– awnings are removed and hope is to get those restitched

Aaron report on trip to Colorado:
– had a wonderful and invigorating time
– will be reporting back on that over the next few months

Building use discussion:
– there has been a proposal to use the building for outside activities
– need to establish a policy that makes use of the resources without compromising beliefs
– had substantial discussion on how to define that balance
– also need to put together lists of practical aspects; liability, expectations for cleaning, maintenance fees, etc.
– will continue the discussion next meeting

Lent & Easter debriefing:
– wonderful to have our own space, as it makes these special events much easier
– discussed how might make things a little easier for the children during the Easter service

Next meeting Tuesday May 23, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary March 21, 2017

ld North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of March 21, 2017
Minutes prepared by Brad Guilford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brad, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Rachael, Sally
Absent: Elisa

Financial Report:
– giving has continued somewhat over-budget, and almost all from tithes
– in February overspent giving by about $4000 due to building repair costs (especially HVAC and electrical)
– still have about $11000 over our stated minimum, which is encouraging
– do still have some expected costs, including especially $3400 for structural repairs

Rachael did analysis on and proposed we institute an online giving alternative
– she and Deborah will look more closely at alternatives and propose one
– the PC generally agreed to move ahead with that

Building Report:
– voted to approve $1000 for permanent sign, since the current temporary one broke and will cost $180 to replace
– should be ready in 3-4 weeks
– PC was unanimous in agreeing that Jordan Bell has been doing a wonderful job with cleaning
– Aaron proposed and PC approved a backup person for Jordan if he cannot clean
– Joy will look at costs for carpet squares for 3-5 classroom
– Aaron will announce a workday for exterior work, including planting landscaping and removing trees

Plans for lawn care
– agreed on plan to purchase commercial grade deck mower
– Daniel to build a small shed for that
– PC approved total of up to $6000 for that, hopefully substantially less
– Aaron will contribute old push mower and commercial string trimmer
– multiple people have volunteered to participate; will set up a rotation of two people each week

Holy Week planning: all in place

Aaron’s odds and ends
– planning for conference attendance is completed, with $400 contributed by ADOTS
– Rachael will make an announcement about keeping kids off of the travel areas

Next meeting Tuesday April 18, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary Jan. 18, 2017

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of January 18, 2017
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brad, Joy, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Rachel, Sally, Elisa

Financial Report:
– giving has been somewhat over-budget
– hard to know exactly what the situation is until all the initial costs associated with the building come in
– still missing the structural repair and a few reimbursements
– will also need to purchase lawn equipment and a shed
– Cedar Springs will be gradually reducing our stipend, down to $10k this year compared to $12k in previous years
– big question mark is the utility cost; from initial takeover around Dec. 12 to Jan 9 was about $960.

Discussion of Advent
– to some degree got overtaken by the building purchase
– expressed gratitude for the beauty of the services

Covenant Journey
– will do twice a year, with the target for the 2nd being around Pentecost (June 4).
– the primary one will remain late October.

Discussion with Arab Christian church
– discussion with them continue
– it is not clear whether they want to move or not

Facilities Committee Move-in list
– list from Committee included cleaning bathrooms, floors, painting classrooms, moving furniture, replacing fire extinguishers ad detectors. Added to the list repair of pews, grounds clean-up, and sign
– Joy and Brad will create a cleaning supplies “potluck” list
– Daniel will check on need for a grease trap
– Facilities Committee will create a janitorial task list, and propose who can do what

Additional Move-In requirements
– additional greeters to cover two doors
– child-care check-in procedures
– care of kitchen
– Aaron will check on getting website updated

Target Move-in
– keep target of Feb. 26
– Aaron will check about 4th Pres. pro-rating if we move earlier

Next meeting Feb. 15, 7:00pm at church

ONA Parish Council Minutes Summary November 30, 2016

Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of November 30, 2016
Minutes prepared by Brad Guilford, summary by Daniel Yoder

Attendees: Aaron, Brent, Daniel, Deborah, Rachel, Sally, Elisa, Brad, Joy

Financial Report:
– giving has been somewhat over-budget, again allowing addition to building fund
– Oct.: tithes and offerings $13082, expenses $9742
– includes extra expenses for miscellaneous building purchase costs

Discussion of progress on Fairmont Building
– have committed to purchase and submitted $22000 earnest money
– waiting on title issues and on survey before closing
– selected an insurance policy
– have a plan for facilities improvements, including a few things that must be done before moving in
– wan to make sure that the facilities re fully accessible

Feedback on Covenant Journey process
– very positive, but will try to have more frequently
– Clergy team to propose how often and when

Feedback on annual congregational meeting
– Council examined the cards turned in on “what we want to be sure not to lose”
– emphasis on worship, with 2nd emphasis on fellowship and discipleship
– there have been several mentions of small groups, so Council discussed how to facilitate those

Feedback on Bishop Frank visit
– extremely positive

Important Dates
– Sunday, December 4, 2016, 2:00 pm, Ice skating for kids 8 and up, Ice Chalet
– Monday, December 12, 2016, 7:00 pm, Ladies night at Joy Guilford’s, 1233 Armstrong Ave, 37917
– Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 6:30 pm, Lessons and Carols, Fourth Presbyterian
– Tuesday, December 20, 2016, time TBA, Caroling for Living Catechism service day, location TBA
– Saturday, December 24, 2016, 5:30 pm, Christmas Eve service, Fourth Presbyterian
– Sunday, December 25, 2016, 9:00 am, Christmas Day service, Fourth Presbyterian
– Sunday, December 25, 2016 through Tuesday, January 3, 2017, Aaron on vacation
– Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 7:00 pm, Parish Council meeting, Deborah’s office at 322 East Burwell