Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of June 19, 2018
Minutes prepared by Elisa Roberts, summary by Daniel Yoder
Attendees: Aaron, Elisa, Rachael, Deborah, Erik, Brent, Sally
Clergy attending: Brad, Joy
– Giving continues to trend upward, and has grown since last year.
– Marriage Conference will show up as fairly large expenditure in June.
– Kudos to the Budget team (Deborah, Brent, Aaron).
– the new budget ($185,700) was approved.
– there was some discussion about whether current savings should be used to pay down on the mortgage.
– the tithe to ADOTS has been increased from 2% to 4%, with a target of 6% for next year, and ultimately 10%.
– there was a suggestion that the Parish Council begin thinking about expanding personnel to meet needs.
Marriage Conference follow-up:
– those who attended were very positive.
– Aaron is processing how to form follow-up groups.
– Aaron sermon series will build directly on the Conference.
– the suggestion was made to have the speaker back to speak on other topics.
– Russ will try to get an updated estimate on the upstairs AC unit.
– Patti looking at blinds for the Fellowship Room windows to help with temperature.
– kudos to Joy for the new children’s room set-up.
– there was discussion about exterior painting.
– there was discussion of cleaning various floors, including the kitchen and under the pews in the sanctuary.
– Aaron will receive the carpet estimates soon.
– Rachel presented findings about refinishing the hardwood floors, which for the lobby ranged from $800-1100, and for the entire sanctuary from $5600-8500.
– Aaron will be leading an outdoor work day.
Proposed position to help with older children / youth:
– Aaron proposed a job description and an initial salary budget.
– once a person is selected, they would propose a full budget, including materials and activities.
– would probably be about 35-40 weeks out of the year, and perhaps 4 hrs / week for those.
– there was some discussion about possibilities for filling that position.
– Since Elisa is leaving the PC in late July, there PC discussed whether to refill that position at our November Congregational Meeting. Without Elisa the PC will have 7 members; the Bylaws require 5-9.
– Had some discussion of possible replacements, but decided to postpone decisions.
– there was some discussion about having Children’s Table for older children.
– Lake Day is Sept. 30, and Bishop Frank will be here Oct. 14.
Next meeting 7:00 pm Tuesday July 17 in lower meeting room.