Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Meeting Summary, meeting of Nov. 27, 2018
Minutes prepared by Brad Guilford, summary by Daniel Yoder
Attendees: Aaron, Deborah, Brent, Gregg, Spencer, Amber, Rusty, Daniel
Clergy attending: Brad
Formation of New Parish Council:
– Sally has resigned from the Council to attend to family issues
– Daniel volunteered to continue as Senior Warden, Brent volunteered as Junior Warden, Amber as Secretary, and Deborah as Treasurer. All candidates were unanimously approved.
Minor Business Items:
– Spencer will check on availability of ACNA retirement plans for part-time employees.
– bank balance is almost $98k, with a year-to-date surplus of about $35k
– Deborah gave a detailed report so that new members could better understand the workings
– the Council discussed the correct balance between improving the building, expanding ministry, and paying down the mortgage. The Council also discussed future employee compensation goals
Aaron Odds and Ends:
– the Godspeed series will begin Jan. 9, and will cost $15-18 per person. This is a 7-week course that will run through Epiphany.
– Aaron suggested a retreat in the Spring to think about 3-5 year planning, including the financial questions mentioned above.
– both Brent and Spencer related experiences from Synod. Spencer specifically mentioned World Mission Sunday (in Feb.) and the New Wineskins Mission Conference (in Asheville next Sept.) as opportunities to think more concretely about international mission
– the Council will discuss a mechanism for the older children to be involved in membership and covenanting activities commensurate with their understanding
Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday Jan. 15 in the upper meeting room.