Old North Abbey, Knoxville, TN
Parish Council Special Covid19 Meeting Summary, meeting of May 19, 2020 (by Zoom)
Minutes prepared by Amber Ford, summary by Daniel Yoder
Attendees: Aaron, Amber, Brent, Daniel, Gregg, Mary, Spencer, Rusty
Clergy attending: Nick, Brad, Joy
Update from ADOTS: 1) continues to recommend deferring to state and county guidance; 2) recommends that if there is communion, it be with bread only; 3) at-risk individuals should be strongly urged to stay home; 4) if there is a policy (e.g., wearing a mask), it must be clearly stated in advance as an expectation, and strictly enforced
Update from Knox County / Tennessee: it looks now like things are progressing well towards moving into Phase 2 of the relaxation beginning May 30.
ONA plans to move forward
- the services will continue to be available by Zoom for the foreseeable future, even when in-person services begin
- many different possible approaches to relaxation were discussed
- it was decided to move forward with planning for an outdoor service on June 14. Aaron, Amber, Brent, Gregg, and Mary have agreed to serve on a planning committee, which will meet at 8:00pm on Monday 5/25 or on 5/24 if too many have Memorial Day plans. The committee will develop very clear guidelines and expectations, including the following:
1) contingency plans in case of inclement weather or other outdoor issue;
2) means for keeping attendance to a safe level, including how to handle guests (if any);
3) will the participation schedule (readings, prayers, etc.) need to be shuffled to use just those in attendance, or is there some way to have Zoom attendees lead portions too?
4) service practical aspects, including the altar table, lectern/s, seating (blankets or chairs), sound amplification, Zoom recording (and possible broadcasting?), bulletins, how readers/prayers will participate, communion, will those on blankets be expected to kneel and stand like in a regular service, etc.
5) use and cleaning of bathrooms
6) clear expectations for attendee behavior, including especially expected safety measures;
7) recommendations for families with children;
8) encouragement that at-risk individuals stay home.
- the plans for this will be reviewed at the next Parish Council meeting on June 2 to determine if we should proceed given the situation at that point.
- Aaron will share these plans with the congregation and explain that they are contingent on local data trends and guidelines.
Next meeting 7:30 pm Tuesday June 2 in the Commons or by Zoom.